CLICK ON THE PICTURE ABOVE
FOR A TRIBUTE SONG BY LT. RODRIGUEZ of the WALTON COUNTY (FL) SHERIFF'S OFFICE
In memory of Sheriffs and Deputies who have sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
• Allamakee County, Sheriff Leonard Bulman was shot and killed on 1-1-46 while attempting to serve a warrant.
• Benton County, Sheriff Leland A. Fry was shot and killed on 11-4-38 while attempting to apprehend an escapee from jail.
• Black Hawk County, Detective Sgt. William Mullikin was killed in an auto accident in 1981 during the manhunt for T-Bone Taylor who was wanted for killing two police officers.
• Black Hawk County, Deputy W.F. Dilworth was shot and killed in 1932 by a suspect during questioning in reference to a burglary.
• Carroll County, Deputy Raymond Rogers was killed in an auto accident in 1978.
• Carroll County, Deputy Wilber Dorman was killed in an auto accident in 1978.
• Chickasaw County, Deputy Frank Herzog was shot and killed on 4-19-16 while attempting to arrest a man for robbery.
• Clay County, Deputy Louis H. Dayton, an undercover liquor investigator, was murdered on March 20, 1929 in front of the post office in Spencer.
• Clay County, Deputy Frank Smith, was shot and killed when he and the Sheriff responded to a domestic disturbance call on 8-9-1924. The suspect shot Deputy Smith before being shot and wounded by the Sheriff. The suspect then committed suicide.
• Davis County, Deputy Dennis Ray McElderry was struck and killed in the line of duty on January 3, 2003 during a high speed chase.
• Decatur County, Deputy Clint McConnel was shot and killed on 7-7-27 as he attempted to arrest two bootleggers.
• Dickinson County, Chief Deputy George O. Williamson
• Dubuque County, Deputy Leo Hemmer was shot and killed during a jail escape on 10-12-25
• Fayette County, Deputy Marion Shephard was shot and killed while attempting to arrest two horse thieves on 9-7-1882.
• Fremont County, Deputy Gilbert Glen Androy in answering a domestic abuse call, was unaware of steps leading to a basement. His fall resulted in severe head injuries and death - 1997.
• Harrison County, Deputy Sheriff Orrin Case was shot and killed in the line of duty by a bootlegger on September 16, 1925
• Howard County, Deputy Stevan H. Owen was killed in an auto accident in 1977.
• Jasper County, Deputy Howard Holdefer
• Jefferson County, Res. Deputy Bill Sutherlin
• Lucas County, Sheriff William Ramsey was shot and killed on 6-29-1889 while questioning a man in regards to threats he had made to his neighbors.
• Marion County, Deputy Harold Gates was shot and killed in 1967 while assisting Pella Police officers in a domestic dispute.
• Marshall County, Jailer Harry E. Davis was shot and killed on 9-9-78 by a subject who had parked outside the Sheriff’s Office and shot the jailer through the window.
• Monona County, Sheriff William E. Strain on 9-5-1902 succumbed to a gunshot wound received five days earlier while attempting to arrest a man for making threats.
• Muscatine County, Deputy C. Edward Halligan, age 58, suffered a fatal heart attack on 11-9-98, while on duty taking a juvenile into custody for a commitment.
• O’brien County, Sheriff Robert Bornholdt
• Polk County, Deputy Kipton L. Hayward was killed on 10-9-93 by a drunk driver while investigating an auto accident.
• Polk County, Deputy Dewey Marshall was seriously wounded while attempting an arrest in Mitchellville, and died on October 30, 1926.
• Polk County, Sheriff Jack L. Woodard
• Pottawattamie County, Deputy Mark Burbridge was shot and killed at the Pottawattamie County Jail on 5-01-17 as he and another deputy returned two inmates to the jail after a court appearance.
• Pottawattamie County, Deputy Clarence Woolman was shot and killed on 3-25-11 while transporting a prisoner to Ft. Madison.
•Pottawattamie County, Chief Deputy Duane H. Otto died on 10-8-81 after a porch fell on him while he was entering a home where a man had barricaded himself with a gun.
• Story County, Sheriff C.V. McGriff was shot and killed on 10-20-41 by an escaped mental patient.
• Union County, Sheriff N.F. Collings was shot and killed on 3-9-26 while serving a paper.
• Washington County, Sheriff William Fred Sweet was shot and killed on 6-25-30 by a suspect who had been arrested for stealing a car.
• Woodbury County, Deputy Lewis R. Jones was killed on 12-19-21 during a packing house labor dispute.
• Woodbury County, Chief Deputy Jimmie Biggs was killed in a plane crash during a prisoner transport on 3-11-59.
• Woodbury County, Cpl. Jon E. Hermann was killed on 6-11-93 in a plane crash during a prisoner transport.
• Woodbury County, Capt. Phillip A. Heimbecker was killed on 6-11-93 in a plane crash during a prisoner transport.
• Keokuk County, Sgt. Eric Stein was shot and killed on 04-04-2011 while attempting to question the suspect in another shooting that occurred the day before.
Officer Down Memorial Page