Institute for Credible Leadership Development
Please see the attached invitation letter for information regarding registration for the fourth round of ISSDA’s Institute for Credible Leadership Development (ICLD) training. This is FREE training for all current ISSDA Members.
The invitation letter explains the program and the textbook attachment lists the few textbooks that are required for the course. Our ICLD Committee researched purchase options for the textbooks and has included ordering information to assist you. Total cost for all textbooks is just over $100.
Lastly, we ask that each agency compile a list of employees that wish to participate and complete the attached ISSDA participant database spreadsheet. Completed spreadsheets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 28, 2017. The information will be entered into the ICLD system and participants will receive an activation email on (or shortly after) May 15, 2017. The training is individualized and at your own pace, within reason (there is a 2-year limit for completion).
ISSDA Participants Data Base blank.xlsx
Thank you for your support and please let me know if you have any questions regarding this process.
Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek
The eight textbooks required for the Institute for Credible Leadership Development (ICLD) modules are listed below. Seven of the books are readily available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Depending on the vendor, the cost to purchase the books is approximately $100 (not including shipping). However, we did find that “Leadership and Training for the Fight…” was notably more expensive at Amazon than it was at Barnes & Noble. It is easier to order them by their ISBN numbers than by their titles.
Phase - Title Author ISBN
- I - Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times Donald T. Phillips - 9780446394598
- I - It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy D. Michael Abrashoff 9781455523023
- I - Moral Compass for Law Enforcement Professionals. Raleigh: International Academy of Public Safety. Normore, A., Javidi, M., Normand. N., Anderson, T., Scott, W., & Hoina, C. * Download FREE book from module within the training
- II - The Founding Fathers on Leadership: Classic Teamwork in Changing Times Donald T. Phillips 9780446674256
- II - It’s Our Ship: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership D. Michael Abrashoff 9780446199667
- II - Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action Simon Sinek 9781591846444
- III - Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than I Daniel Goleman 9780553383713
- III - Leadership and Training for the Fight: Using Special Operations Principles to Succeed in Law Enforcement, Business, and War Paul R. Howe 9781616083045
Another component of the Iowa State Sheriffs’ and Deputies’ Association – Institute for Credible Leadership Development (ISSDA-ICLD) training program is the ability to extend the ICLD training to include National Certification through the Criminal Justice Commission for Credible Leadership Development (CJC-CLD). This is an optional certification process designed to acknowledge that the participant has met the requirements and training as a Credible Leader. For each phase of the ICLD (I – III) there is an optional accompanying CCL (I - III Star) certification process.
To be eligible for CCL certification, an applicant must:
· Successfully complete the associated phase of the ICLD program;
· Complete an on-online application and verify that they are in good standing within their agency;
· Pay the applicable CCL application fee; and
· Take an additional online course and successfully complete a comprehensive examination, which may include essays and other criteria.
The results of the additional online course and the comprehensive examination are graded and validated by commission staff and successful applicants then receive a professional certificate, suitable for framing, a lapel pin identifying them as a Certified Credible Leader (CCL) for the phase of the ICLD that they have completed, and the ability to utilize the official CCL designation.
In order to access the CCL National Certification link, the applicant must first successfully complete the associated phase of the ICLD training. The applicant’s Sheriff, or his designee, must then provide Ms. Sherry Bass of the ICLD management team (email@example.com
) a list of employees who wish to participate in the CCL process and the specific ICLD level that they have completed. Ms. Bass will then provide them access to the appropriate level of CCL certification testing through the National Certification link on the ICLD desk top, as follows:
The Sheriff, or his designee, must also indicate if the employee will be paying the CCL application fee themselves or if the Sheriff’s Office is to be invoiced for the certification application fee.
The CCL application fees are as follows:
· CCL – I Star = $75
· CCL – II Star = $150
· CCL – III Star = $300